Thursday 22 August 2013

The "Thank You" Post & A Little Update On Our Boys


Over the past two days, our family has received a little over $2,000 in donations.  Some friends of ours have shared the story about how we’re “stuck” in China due to a UK visa issue (if you’ve followed our family, you already know we’re a military family stationed in England and that our adoptions have an extra layer of complication paperwork hell that we have to deal with) and people near and far have rallied to support us.  I find that nothing short of amazing. 

While there is a link to PayPal on our blog, we've had some tell us that the link is not working.  Our PayPal address is jillhudkins@hotmail.com and if anyone is interested in donating, they can go to www.paypal.com and select to "donate money to family and friends" and enter our address.  I feel so weird putting that out there, but we have had people ask...

We did not ask for money but we are very thankful right now for the generosity of the people who gave to us.  The money that we’ve received has helped immensely with our unanticipated travel costs.  In addition to donations, we have received a small credit back from the airline on our initial trip and we’re hoping (but not expecting) that the military might be able to give us some assistance once we get back to our duty station.  It is really, really hard to be "that family" and to accept help, but we've just gotten schwacked with a $13,000 additional airline expense, so we're a little more willing to be humble.  But, it's hard.  We've assisted other families who've needed help and participated in fundraisers for other people's adoption...but when the shoe is on the other foot, it just feels different for me.  Even though I'm uncomfortable with this, I am so thankful for the generousity and kindness that is coming our way. 

Amazingly, donations are still coming in.  I’ve had a few friends give us $10 or $20 and apologize for it not being more.  If that is you, please know that every penny helps and please know that your thoughtfulness and kindness in giving anything at all has no price tag.  When this mess is over and we are home, I will make sure to personally thank everyone that has donated to us and shared our story.  I will pay this kindness forward once we are back on our feet.  I’ve often given to other adopting families in need or supported a fundraiser.  I’ve bought a few raffle tickets for iPads over the past two years and when I donate, I always wonder “does that $5 really put a dent in things?”  The answer is yes.  It does.  In more ways than one. 

I want to mention everyone who has given, but I know that if I try, I will miss someone.  Or, I might embarrass someone that doesn’t want to be recognized…I get that, too.  Some of the names that are attached to some of the donations we’ve received – I don’t recognize them.  I don’t know these people and I’m overwhelmed that someone who doesn’t know us would give us money.  So…this is my thank you post.  I know it is rambly but I don’t know what else to say. 
 
It is Friday morning and we leave on Sunday.  We said goodbye to Laura last night and are waiting now for confirmation that she made it to where she was supposed to be.  She’s a pretty well-traveled 21 year old but flying from China to London via Dubai is pretty daunting.  We’re getting ready to pack up the boys to go to Shamian Island and pick up our laundry and maybe hit up the playground behind Lucy’s Restaurant.  Later on, we will hit the pool, weather permitting.  We’ve kind of done everything and seen everything here in Guangzhou, and it’s unpleasantly humid outside…we’re just in a holding pattern getting ready to go home. 

We have plans to get the boys each a new pair of shoes – the ones Kyle came to us in fit poorly and Zack…well, Zack has been wearing leather sandals for 2+ weeks and they stink.  I am NOT sitting with those stinky shoes on a 12+ hour plane ride.  Children’s shoes and clothing are relatively inexpensive over in this part of the world.  We also need to find some cheap toys and some stickers for the plane ride…we did not bring very many toys with us, and the boys are getting bored with what we do have.  Right now, they are “coloring” which basically involves each one making sure that the other one doesn’t have more crayons.  I got two identical pouches with equal amounts and color distribution of crayons, thinking that would prevent squabbles.  What was I thinking?

The whole “sharing” thing is pretty funny to watch.  Kyle seems very willing to share everything with Zack, but that does not go the other direction.  At all.  Even though Zack is the younger brother (by four months) he’s so much bigger and has taken on the older brother role.  He is already showing Kyle the ropes bossing Kyle around.  Also, Zack is very quick to let me know if his brother is doing something he shouldn’t be.  Kyle probably does his share of tattling, too…I just can’t understand it yet.  He babbles in Chinese and points/grunts/whines. 

Kyle is an amazingly bright little boy, though.  After not quite 2 weeks with us, he’s spontaneously saying “please, bye-bye, no, and uh-oh” at the appropriate times. He answers my questions with a head nod or a shake and he seems to understand me…simple things like “are you hungry”; “do you want a drink”; “would you like to take a bath”…that sort of stuff.  If I ask him to hold hands with his brother or to sit down/get up, find his shoes – he does.  He has put on over a kilo since we’ve had him and his skin doesn’t have that chalky, thin-skinned look about him anymore.  There are a lot of positives and I’m trying to keep my head up and not whine about being stuck in China.  I’m trying not to stress and obsess over the amount of money we’ve charged in relation to the amount of money in our bank account…there is a lot that I cannot control right now and I just have to ride out the situation we’re in and know that eventually…this will pass. 

I’ll post some more pictures of the boys later.  Cheers. 

 

 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, congratulation to you and your grown family. What a wonderful tree you own!

Best wishes from Iceland,
Korinna

Post a Comment