Saturday 30 November 2013

A thankful heart and a story about a starfish


November is a month where we set aside time to give thanks and to celebrate adoption.  I think it is fitting that National Adoption month is celebrated around the same time as Thanksgiving.  I thought I would end the month by sharing this little story.  No, I am not quite on the “save a child” or “rescue an orphan” bandwagon.  But, there are those who are and I’ve become a whole lot more accepting of that mindset as a motivation to adopt than I used to be.  I understand it a little bit better after two trips to China.  In reality, there is some element of rescue and I don’t say that in a “pat myself on the back” kind of way.  Fact is, these lovely children adopted from China (and I speak collectively, not just of my two) know a vastly different life because someone from the other side of the world said “I can”.   

These words aren’t mine – the original story was written by Loren Eisley.  Enjoy.   

The Starfish Story –

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?" The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die."

"Son," the man said, "don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference!"

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…"I made a difference for that one."

And, with a thankful heart, I tell you that my two boys have made a difference to me.  The words of a man I met in China “you have changed their destiny”, spoken to me in a tone of deep respect, are something I pause to reflect on every single day.   Not one day goes by that I don't think about that statement.  I am certain that adoption has changed destiny for my boys but my own has been changed much more profoundly.  Thanksgiving is no longer a day where I simply enjoy turkey and pie and think about the good things that have happened over the past year.  Don’t misunderstand – I totally do all of that – but I have gone very “back to basics” on what I am most thankful for.  I am thankful that I am loved and have people to love. I am all the more thankful for that since I’ve had such a front row view to those who miss out.    

As we begin December,  I wish all of you a magical and blessed Christmas season. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment