Monday 23 December 2013

Elfaliscious

The elf on the shelf has been all over the social networking sites this holiday season.  No doubt, someone on your friends list is entertaining you (or boring you) with daily elf antics.  You’ve probably seen posts or tweets with a more derisive tone that bash “those elf people”.  Maybe you’ve seen some the “naughty elf” pictures that are circulating.  This is my favorite - boom suckas, indeed.  Indeed.  

 
We are one of “those families”.  Our elf is Sam and yes, December nighttime conversations focus on where to position Sam for the kids to find in the morning.  Although…I’ll admit to having several “oh $h!t, I forgot to move the elf” moments when I wake up and have to scramble to throw Sam in a new location before the kids wake up and notice that he’s in the same spot.  Parenting fail narrowly escaped. 
 Getting ready for a soak in the tub...
Just hanging around...
For those not familiar with the elf, he’s one of Santa’s agents, as all elves are.  The little (some say creepy looking) doll “watches” the children during the day and flies to the North Pole each night to report on their “naughty or nice” rating du jour.  This is the logic behind him landing in different places when he returns to home.  The elf must not be touched by human paws because he will “lose his magic”.  He will fly back to the North Pole on Christmas Eve, to return the following Christmas.  There you have it, although I think Sam may have stayed at our house a couple of extra days last year.  Who can blame him?  We are pretty cool people and I can totally see not wanting to go back to the North Pole in December - brrr.
I’m old school.  I was raised on “be good for goodness sake” and a healthy fear of a lump of coal in my stocking if I didn’t meet Santa’s threshold of goodness.  For the truly bad children, there were switches.  I totally ate this notion up when I was a kid.  I’m learning that there are an alarming number of people out there that believe it is damaging to a child’s psyche to be pressured in to maintaining good behavior so that Santa will bring presents on Christmas morning.  There are those elf naysayers who think it’s creepy…unhealthy, even…to give kids the idea that a little elf is watching them and reporting their actions to Santa.  To this I say “Bah Humbug” and “overthink much”?  It’s Christmas, people.  A little bit of carrot dangling to encourage good behavior is part of the magic of the season.  Anyway, we elf unashamed and are having a blast with it. 
My boys are very young, and thus, easily entertained.  All I have to do is put Sam in a different spot in the house and they ooh and ahh over the magic of it all.  I have been out on Pintrest and YouTube to get ideas on different things to do with the elf, but honestly, these are ideas that are probably best suited to the older child who can appreciate the cleverness and/or mommies and daddies with a LOT of spare time on their hands and/or a need to out-elf their friends.  There’s always somebody like that.  You know what I mean. 
Here are some elf ideas that I think are particularly noteworthy and/or alarming:
“Have the elf write a message for the child in lipstick on the mirror.”  Anyone else find this slightly unsettling?  Besides that, is the elf going to whip out a tiny bottle of Windex and a miniature roll of paper towels and clean that crap up?  I don’t think so. 
“Switch out closet clothes (i.e. take chunk of child’s clothes and switch with chunk of sibling or parents clothes) or switch out dresser drawer clothes”. Yes.  Because I am that person with enough spare time to rearrange our closets and drawers for no good reason.  Twice. 
“Create a mask and cape out of paper or cloth – Super Elf!  Perhaps he can be hanging from the ceiling by fishing line.”  In spite of my initial response of “ain’t nobody got time for that” and my lack of craftiness, I actually like this one.  I think I will keep this in the files for when the boys are older and can appreciate the notion of “Super Elf” just a little more. 
“Hang a child’s unmentionables on the Christmas tree.”  Sure…why not?  We have good insurance.  Paying for therapy on down the line won’t be a financial hardship.  I can totally see one of my kids lying on a couch in a shrink’s office.  The question “tell me about your mother” will bring an anguished “well it all started when she hung my BVDs on the Christmas tree for all to see…”
“Type/write a letter listing all of the wonderful qualities the elf has observed in your child.”  Awe.  Very warm and fuzzy, touchy-feely.  I might save this one for later…right now the letter might read something like “I saw you hit your brother over the head with an all-metal Tonka dump truck but you did a great job cleaning up your toys after your mom told you to do it seventeen times.  Love, Sam.” 
“Turn all of the kitchen chairs backwards.”  Hello?  Poltergeist flashbacks, anyone? 
“Play cards”.  Sam actually did this last year.  He and several teddy bears were caught on camera playing spades with chocolate coins.  It was only that one time, so I don’t think Gambler’s Anonymous is in the cards for our elf. 
Have the elf hang out in child’s bedroom while sleeping; take pictures.”  While this sounded creepy on the surface, we actually did this.  We took pictures of the boys after they’d gone to sleep, printed them and staged them downstairs with Sam and the boys’ toy camera.  Yeah…it was a slow night in the Robbins household.  The boys loved it and carried their pictures around for the entire morning.
And so on.  There are all kinds of crazy elf ideas out there – from the very simple to the ridiculously time-consuming (building a “family fort” out of ice in the front yard).   I like the idea of forming new Christmas traditions that my family can enjoy year-to-year.  Some of the things that I do around holiday time are things that my family did when I was growing up, so who knows – maybe my grandchildren will have their own elves someday.  I like that thought. 
So, to all of you anti-elf naysayers, the Robbins family will stand tall and be proudly elf-a-liscious.  Merry Christmas to all…and elf on. 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment