Thursday 19 April 2012

Yep, Edinburgh again!

I signed up to run the inaugural Rock and Roll Edinburgh half some months ago.  This was my sixth half marathon, so running 13. 1 miles is not an entirely new concept for me, but since my various injuries and moving to dreary, rainy England, my training has kind of gone in the toilet.  So, I signed up for the race thinking I would actually train…but not so much.  We got on the train on Friday (race day was Sunday) with my longest training run coming it at a whopping 4 miles.  My plan was to walk/run and have fun and enjoy the trip and the company.  Honestly, if we hadn't have made the travel arrangements and prepaid months ago, I'd have stayed home.  SO glad I did not.  It was a BLAST!

We took the train from Newmarket with our friend Debbi and Wes.  Train travel is the way to go.  We had to change trains twice, but the trains were very clean and comfortable (the 4 hour leg from Peterborough to Edinburgh had a bar car) and our door to door was about 6 hours. 
Lee with his refreshment on the train!

We met up with John and Tina from Virginia (friends of Debbi and Wes) and my friend Marguerita from here in Mildenhall and her friend Kacie.  Fun and diverse group of people and we had a GREAT time hanging out.  We saw a bit more of the city than we got to see in December, enjoyed some better weather and longer days and had a great dinner at a pirate themed Italian restaurant.  Yes, that’s right.  The concierge at Marguerita and Kacie’s hotel recommended it.  Café Roma, I think.  When we first went in, I felt underdressed…it seemed pretty upscale and I was in cargo pants, a fleece and sneakers.  It was a very nice place.  But, I looked around and noticed that there were all of these crazy skeleton’s dressed like pirates everywhere.  The food was amazing – great pre-race carb load!
The "Last Drop" Pub in Grassmarket
Pre-race yummy-ness!
I really wasn't kidding!
I actually did well at the run.  I had told myself I’d do a 4/1 walking/running mix.  I pretty much ran the entire way, at a slower pace than usual, and I allowed myself to walk through the water stations and through wardrobe adjustments.  Yes, I am usually that girl who tries to keep running while pouring water down my throat and taking off my outer layers.  There were hills, oh yes, there were hills.  But the scenery was beautiful, the skies clear and the race was amazingly well organized.  My clock time was 2:31, which is a bit slower than my normal.  I’ve gone from 2:10 to 2:25, but I’m happy.  I had a lot of fun and I didn’t’ feel too bad after.  I’ve done a little light running this week and I’m re-motivated to go out and start running a little more.  If I run another overseas Rock and Roll event, I get a special “World Rocker” medal.  And you know, I do like the idea of telling people I am a world rocker.  Just sayin’. 
Running Friends - me, John, Tina, and Debbi
More running friends, me, Marguerita and Kacie.  The token picture with my eyes closed. 
Mile 9 - I'm having so much fun, see?
Maybe not as much fun now...here I come!  Around the bend is the FINISH LINE!  And food!
World Rockers! 
My honey and me at the finish line!  I love him because he let me hug him even when I stunk. Well, other reasons, too. 



1 comments:

Troy and Diane Sturgeon said...

Ok, so I'm stalking you from the DTC fb page, but I have to tell you how jealous I am! Edinburgh. Sigh! And the train ride w/refreshments looks VERY similar to my train rides to Edinburgh! ;)

Post a Comment