Tuesday 6 May 2014

Proud to be...Gluten Free !

Well no, not really.  Not me. But it does sound catchy, huh?  Chant it a few times.  You'll see. 

I made a cake without flour.  And, it was ahh-maze-ingggg.  I know the "A" word is totally overused right now.  But this is the only word I can use to describe this cake. 

I eat better these days.  I can eat everything, I like everything and I have no moral reservations about eating stuff that used to have a face.  That said, I eat much less dairy, meat and processed foods than I did a year ago. And, I feel better for it. 

Someone posted in one of my adoption groups about how yummy this flourless cake was and I virtually rolled my virtual eyes.  Cake without flour?  Whatever.  But, since I like to eat healthy and since I really like desert...I asked for the recipe. 

I am not sure if this cake had a name, but I'm giving it one.  It is called Shannon's Chocolate Deliciousness.  Shannon is the person who gave me the recipe...I don't know her, but based on this freaking awesome cake, we can all only assume that she is really awesome. 

Ingredients:  4 oz bitter chocolate, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 3 beaten eggs, and 1 stick unsalted butter. 

That's 5 ingredients, people.  You probably have this stuff in your pantry now. Run...run to the kitchen and... 

Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. 

Mix the sugar and cocoa.  Fold in the chocolate mixture and add the eggs.  Stir. 

Fold in to a greased 8 inch cake pan and cook at a preheated 325 oven for 25 minutes (don't overcook). 

We had ours with powdered sugar and raspberries.  I started making this AFTER we finished dinner and we were all having cake within the hour.  So easy and yummy.  This desert screams for a glass of milk.  If you are not at least a little bit of a dark chocolate fan, this might not be your thing.  The desert is dense, rich and fudgy.  A little goes a long way.  I would totally take this to a potluck. With a little attention to the garnish, it looks really nice. 

Is this diet cake? Hello?  Did you pay attention to the words "butter" and "sugar"?  Is this "Paleo?"  I have no idea what "Paleo" means in relation to eating...I have mental images of knuckle dragging when I read that.  If you don't like/can't have flour or, if you're like me and are just a little bit curious...try this. This totally passes the "I would serve this to someone I wanted to impress" litmus test. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment